Following are the strategies that are needed to be adopted and farmers at field level are to be made aware of these strategies: There are two types of strategies viz. Short term strategies and Long term strategies Here I shall be discussing the Long Term Strategies to Overcome the Low Productivity in Apple
- Promoting high density plantation by using suitable rootstock and Spur type varieties for reducing the gestation period and increasing production per unit area
- Phasing out old plantations, which have completed their economic life, and replanting with new apple varieties on suitable rootstock.
- Introducing improved varieties of apple, which are regular bearers, heavy croppers, precocious, resistant to biotic and abiotic stresses and also useful for processing purpose
- Identification fruit trees of outstanding merit in existing apple plantations for use as mother trees when establishing future orchards
- Developing of infrastructure and facilities for multiplication of certified virus tested planting material of apple rootstock and scion varieties for use in future apple orchards
- Expansion of area under improved varieties of apple
In coming posts I shall be discussing about plant health management.
Post a Comment